Stripes

Thursday, March 31, 2011

How to be a Human Trash Receptacle


“Here you go.”
Evee’s first sentence.  Short, sweet and to the point; enunciated with perfect clarity.  It was also said while she handed me a wrapper she’d found on the floor. 
Despite my happiness at hearing her language skills development, I couldn’t help but think: Isn’t it a little early for this?  I knew previously that children have a propensity to hand their mothers garbage of all kinds, but I always assumed that this came later—like when they’re in their first little league.  Heaven knows I’m still trying to talk Sarah into using a trash receptacle of any kind.
This has become a favorite past time of Evee’s, though.  She likes to rip paper into tiny pieces, then collect them all and hand them to me.  She collects garbage on the street and park as well.  There is an upside to her passing the trash off to me, because I’ve found what doesn’t end up in my hand ends up in her mouth.  Gross! Gross! Gross!!

4 comments:

  1. I see it as my kids don't litter and that they are also aware of other people's trash and how it doesn't belong on the ground. It beats finding it later in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How did you raise such a "green" toddler? She's so earth-conscious! Her next sentence will be: "Mommy, we need to reduce our carbon footprint."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally saw this happen yesterday! I was walking in the park when I saw a little girl about Evee's size pick up some gravel from the walking path and take it to her mother. The task seemed to be of utmost importance to her. Mom was distracted with the other kids and didn't notice what the toddler was doing when she reached out to hand her something. The toddler was not satisfied until she physically opened Mom's hands and placed the rocks into them. She seemed quite pleased with herself and her momma looked puzzled as to why she now had gravel in her hands. I just cracked up thinking of you and your little trash collector. I wonder why kids do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lily does this to me with some things but she's also learned how much "fun" it is to throw things away. Unfortunately this can backfire, seeing as how I've had to dig numerous things out of my trash can that should never have been there in the first place. And some things have just had to be casualties because they were not important enough for me to go digging after.

    ReplyDelete